February 23, 2009

Instruments

For my birthday, my brother got me an ocarina, which, despite having very little experience playing a flute, beyond the recorder, I have of late become quite adept at playing. Certainly, the Dorkmuffin probably didn't appreciate my atonal fumbling at all hours of the night, but that is neither here nor there.

I've had an idea of late, because the wbriting of my dissertation has led me to something of an intellectual impasse, of writing a narrative. I say "narrative" and not "novel" 1) because it seems to me there's nothing much new about novels anymore and 2) because I want to write a work of criticism that is neither straightforwardly historicist in the manner I know my committee wants but can't quite manage to say nor yet another masturbatory exercise in self discovery like so much of this PoMo lit-crit crap I read on a daily basis. This act of criticism/narrative is likely yet another in a long line of elaborate projects I will abandon the moment I realize it will require actual work and discipline, but even so, I like one of the fragments the idea has produced so far. Here it is, completely without context.

"The whole examination room was dark, a living history exhibit you see at one of those themed parks on the East Coast, except I have the sense no one visits this place much not even the sun. Everything is dusted, meaning there isn't much dust for such an old place, but nothing really looks clean: solid metal instruments of examination from an era somewhere between blood-letting and MRIs covered in discoloring blotches of tarnish and in some cases rust. Aunt's old koto leaned into the corner next to the medicine cabinet, and if I hadn't known better I'd assume it was like every other instrument in the room, outdated, without purpose, and without any use beyond anachronism and decoration. As I tiptoed around the room, a stray thread from the hem of my jacket got caught on a protruding nail head, and when Aunt saw it, she grabbed a forceps from a nearby desk, pulled the string taut, and severed it at the hemline with a pair of ancient snips. She grunt-sighed in her usual way, obviously put out for having to exert herself in any way whatsoever. So she went back into the parlor to listen to her programs, noiselessly shutting the door and leaving me to my own devices."

The whole thing is likely to be about music and poetry, but you may have guessed that already.

4 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger water said...

Up until line 5 I thought I was reading about the complit library--the dark examination room. Funny, do you have that in mind when starting this episode?

"outdated, without purpose, and without any use beyond anachronism and decoration." I guess this applies to both poetry and music?

Here comes my favorite line:

As I tiptoed around the room, a stray thread from the hem of my jacket got caught on a protruding nail head.

I don't know why, but this stray thread seems to be immensely entertaining. Maybe because it defies you?

Keep writing. I like this, barb.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Nicholas Theisen said...

I have in mind a very specific place, one I can't imagine anyone I know has been: it's the large examination room of a hospital/house where the daughter of a fairly well-known poet lives. Said poet was also a doctor, so his home also served as his clinical practice. The daughter keeps everything pretty much as it was when he died, so while it is technically "lived in," it feels like a museum. Yet, for her, there is no distinction between "the museum" and "the home," as she would regularly just grab old implements from off the tables and use them to do what she needed done. It was a little sad and a lot creepy.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger water said...

Indeed it is. I am tempted to ask you more questions such as "How did you know such a sad and unique figure?" But is your blog the best place for questions like this? How is your distortion coming along? Are you planning to totally rewrite it? Or is this the beginning of another project? Are you still sending me your detailed comments on my chapter? I thought you were. Well, maybe this calls for a conversation on the phone.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Michael K. said...

Yeah, your little fragment is weird, creepy, sad, and I must say rather burdened with covert sexual reference that I'm sure you'd resist hearing if I brought it out into the open. I dunno: maybe there is room between 'literature' and 'scholarship' to pull off prose that is neither MFA-solipsistic crap nor the humdrum dry rattle of dutiful foonotes. I charge you with the task of producing a narrative which is at once engaging art and provocative criticism. You might be the only one who can pull it off, mainly because you have very few illusions about either art or criticism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home